In addition to being a great cocktail mixer, Averna is one of the most famous Italian bitters. There are several great Averna cocktail recipes out there, but the beatnik is an excellent example. Mixologist Duggan McDonnell created the sophisticated cocktail for Averna. Each of the three ingredients in the recipe contributes a distinct taste, yet they create a rich, complex recipe. This cocktail is mildly sweet with a hint of tang. Bourbon introduces a warming oak note, while Averna adds a herbal and bittersweet undertone. Due to its digestif qualities and proximity to Averna and port, the Beatnik is an excellent drink for after dinner. If you have steaks for dinner, you’ll find that it’s an incredible follow-up, and it’s also a fabulous way to end a meal with family and friends.
Cocktail strength (from 1 to 10 scale)
The strength of Beatnik Cocktail Recipe is 6 out of 10.
Nutrition (calories per serving)
The estimated calories of Beatnik Cocktail Recipe is 230 calories per serving.
Preparation time (minutes)
The time it takes to create Beatnik Cocktail Recipe is 3 minutes.
- Cocktail Shaker
- Cocktail Glass
- 1/2 ounce tawny port
- 1 ounce bourbon whiskey
- 1 1/2 ounces Averna amaro liqueur
- Burnt orange peel, for garnish
Steps to Make It
- Collect the required ingredients.
- By pouring the port into a cocktail glass and swirling it around to cover the inside, you can make a port rinse.
- Pour the remaining port into an ice-filled cocktail shaker. Combine the bourbon and Averna in a mixing glass.
- 30 minutes stir
- Fill a cocktail glass halfway with ice and strain into it.
- Serve with a flamed orange peel as a garnish. To do so, keep the peel between your thumb and forefinger and gently squeeze while voicing the peel's oils over a lit match, resulting in a few sparks falling into your bottle. Toss the peel into the beverage. Serve and have fun.