The holiday punch wassail is a traditional drink from generations ago that continues to be served today. Family members would serve it to carolers and visitors during the Christmas season because it is comforting and soothing. Wassailing is a tradition of visiting from house to house like this, and groups often spend the entire day or evening making their way through a neighborhood. There is a good chance that this particular recipe has been passed down from generation to generation. There is a substantial amount of dry sherry, a little brandy, and the usual holiday season spices in this recipe. There are also egg yolks and whites added to this hot punch, which gives it an eggnog-like tang that tastes very good.
Cocktail strength (from 1 to 10 scale)
The strength of Wassail Cocktail Recipe is 5 out of 10.
Nutrition (calories per serving)
The estimated calories of Wassail Cocktail Recipe is 170 calories per serving.
Preparation time (minutes)
The time it takes to create Wassail Cocktail Recipe is 20 minutes.
- Egg whisker
- Glass mug
- 8 ounces water
- 750 ml dry sherry
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brandy
- 7 large egg whites
- 4 large egg yolks
- Apple slices (garnish)
Steps to Make It
- Put the spices and water in a saucepan. Let it simmer at low heat for 10 minutes. combine the water and spices.
- Stir while the mixture boils.
- Put the sugar and sherry, and continue stirring until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks in a bowl.
- In a punch bowl, pour in the warm sherry mix and the egg yolks. Mix together. Add the brandy.
- Whisk the egg whites until they turn foamy. Add them into the mix in the punch bowl.
- Put some apple slices in the punch bowl as garnish.
- Pour into a glass mug.
- Serve and enjoy your drink.